- About the Department
- Course Information
- Office Staff
- Graduate Assistants
- Colloquia and Seminars
- Math Club
- Statistics Division
- Mathematics Education
- Educator Licensure
NIU Department of Mathematical Sciences
Minor in Elementary Mathematics Education
for Elementary Education Majors
Consider enhancing your K-9 Certificate with a Minor in Elementary Mathematics Education.
Over the last few years, there has become an increased demand for mathematics specialists in the elementary and middle schools.
The Department of Mathematical Sciences requires the following courses for the Minor in Elementary Mathematics Education.
- MATH 201, Foundations of Elementary School Mathematics
- MATH 229, Calculus I
- MATH 302, Introduction to Geometry
- MATH 402, Methods of Instruction in the Mathematics Curriculum for the Elementary School
- MATH 410, Methods of Instruction in the Mathematics Curriculum for the Middle School
- STAT 301, Elementary Statistics
- One of the following courses:
- MATH 206, Introductory Discrete Mathematics
- MATH 210, Finite Mathematics
- MATH 303, Introduction to Number Theory
- MATH 304, History of Mathematics through the 17th Century
A minimum GPA of 2.25 in all courses counted for credit toward the minor numbered above MATH 201 is required. Six or more semester hours in the minor must be taken at NIU.
(At the discretion of the Department of Mathematical Sciences, other courses also may be found acceptable. See http://www.math.niu.edu/ or visit the math office, Watson Hall 320, (815) 753 0566, for further information.)
Provided that MATH 303 or MATH 304 is chosen as an elective, this minor meets the minimal mathematics requirement for an endorsement to teach mathematics in grades 6-8 in Illinois.
TLCI 422, Middle School Organization & Instruction, and EPS 419, The Middle School Child, also are required by the state to be eligible to teach in the middle school.
For additional information, contact the Department of Mathematical Sciences (phone (815) 753 0566) for an appointment.
NIU Mathematics Education Teacher Certification information Last modified: 09/16/2016 (djg)