Phone: (815) 753-6739
NIU Department of Mathematical Sciences - Undergraduate Program
Note: if you are a non-math major/minor and need assistance with course registration, please contact Mr. Tom Kapraun in the department office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-753-6722.
The Department of Mathematical Sciences at Northern Illinois University offers an integrated array of courses, degree programs, and activities for undergraduates. We welcome well-motivated students to join with us to develop their talents and prepare for their careers. We offer something for every NIU student, whether it is the
- Bachelor of Science programs
- Minors in the Mathematical Sciences
- Teacher certification programs, including endorsements
- Honors programs
- Extra-curricular activities
- Job and career information
- Specialized advanced coursework for majors and non-majors
- General-education courses for all NIU undergraduates
- Assistance to individual students with coursework
- Scholarships and awards for our best-performing students.
- Prospective Students
- Transfer Students
Students begin their mathematics courses at NIU with a wide variety of backgrounds. Some students enter Northern with Advanced Placement credit, others need refresher or transition courses, many are transfer students, and many are also pursuing majors or minors in other departments. Our goal is to assist each student to develop his or her mathematical talents to the fullest.
Because each topic within mathematics builds up from a solid base of understanding, it is necessary to begin with an appropriate course early in your college career. Please contact an advisor at NIU as early in your college planning as is possible so that you can make the most of your mathematics coursework. You will probably begin your planning for your mathematics courses by taking the Mathematics Placement Exam.
Further program information
- Registration and Records (course schedules etc.)
- Official Catalog Course Descriptions
- Math career information
- Calculators used in math courses
- Information about transferring to NIU
- Placement exam information
- NIU Math Club
- A math study guide by Peter Alfeld
- Students' web page at the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- Mathematical career information from the Mathematical Association of America (MAA)