NIU Department of Mathematical Sciences
Advising in the Department of Mathematical Sciences
All students are encouraged to speak with university advisors on
a regular basis. Your primary advisors should be those in the
department of your major or minor.
For students taking mathematics courses only:
Please consult with the advisors in your department about which courses
are best suited for your degree requirements and career goals.
They know better than the math department what the needs are in
However, the math department can advise all students about minimal
graduation requirements in mathematics; placement into mathematics
courses; prerequisites for mathematics courses; transfer credit;
proficiency exams; scheduling difficulties, and related matters.
Please call the Department Office (1-815-753-0566) with questions.
For help with the courses in which you are enrolled, please
consult the instructor of the course. The advisors listed below are
not available to help you with homework or tutoring. If you need
further assistance with your current mathematics coursework,
please consult a list of available resources.
For students seeking or considering a major, minor, or professional
certification in the mathematical sciences: Please consult the
appropriate advisor listed below. Your advisor can help you
The responsibility of making the most of a college career is the
student's, but we are eager to offer help to those who need it.
All faculty members should be able to offer suggestions and ideas,
but some are designated to be aware of current procedures and opportunities.
- Plan coursework for one or multiple semesters
- Overcome administrative or other hurdles
- Review progress towards a degree; will you graduate, and when?
- Offer career advice --- Which degree? What follows graduation?
- Provide contacts within the university, among graduate schools,
and in the job market
Degree requirements are specified in the Undergraduate Catalogue.
You may find that many of your other questions are answered in the
Department's web pages. If
not, please contact the appropriate advisor:
- If you are or are considering becoming a graduate student in the
mathematical sciences, contact
the Director of Graduate Studies, Prof Zhuan Ye:
- If you are seeking certification to teach mathematics, contact
the Coordinator for Teacher Certification,
Ms Bonnie Kersten: email@example.com
- If you are or are considering becoming an undergraduate math minor, contact
Prof. Daniel Grubb: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Majors and minors in Probability and Statistics, and those seeking
certification in Actuarial Science, should contact
Prof. Sanjib Basu: email@example.com
- Undergraduate majors whose emphasis is in Mathematics Education
will be assigned advisors from among the faculty. The list of assignments
is available from the Department office 753-0566.
- Undergraduate majors in all other emphases and those who are unsure of
which emphasis is best should contact the Director of Undergraduate
Studies, Prof. Qingkai Kong: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department advisors are NOT intended to be a resource to
help students with work in particular courses. Students should
make contact with their individual instructors during office hours
or at other mutually convenient times.
Director of Undergraduate Studies:
Dr. Qingkai Kong
Back to the NIU Math Department Web page
Last modified: 2002/01/26 (djr)